Employing staff should not be taken lightly, WASCA recommends seeking advice from a Human Resources consultant for specific details for your situation.
There are a number of steps that can be taken to ensure the best person is recruited for any available positions:
- Be clear in defining the roles and responsibilities as well as the personal and technical skills that are desirable
- Include days and hours to be worked
- See the News section of the website for examples from other schools
- Tip: include your school logo for a professional look.
- WASCA members have the benefit of being able to advertise on the WASCA website, we will also place an ad on our Facebook page with an extensive reach across WA
- Simply send to us in Word or PDF format.
- Preparing a written job description can make this process easier and is an essential piece of documentation once the correct person is employed. Job descriptions provide a brief overview of the role, how it relates to your school/canteen vision, and a list of key responsibilities, requirements and qualifications. The job description spells out what is expected of the employee and provides the direction to achieve successful job performance
- WASCA has developed a comprehensive sample that can be used as a guide and adapted accordingly. Care should be taken to follow all Award and other Industrial Relations conditions
- Written job description template is available as an editable document for members only, email WASCA for your copy.
Prepare an interview checklist
- Now that you have the right person it’s time to set up an interview
- WASCA has developed a list of sample questions that can be used as a guide to ensure the person most suited to the advertised position is employed
- Canteen interview sample questions are available for members only, email WASCA for your copy.