Compliance with the Healthy Food and Drink in Public Schools policy, includes food safety and hygiene requirements. Principals must ensure the canteen:
1. understands their obligations to sell food in accordance with the Food Act 2008 (WA) including but not limited to:
- canteen workers and volunteers have completed FoodSafe Food Handler training or its equivalent
- schools notify the local council prior to conducting a charitable or community event involving food
- food prepared for sale is only made in approved premises; food prepared in a home that has not been approved as a food business must not be sold in a canteen.
2. complies with the requirements under the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code, including Food Safety Standards:
- 2.2* – Specifies the requirements for food safety and general practices
- 2.3 – Specifies the requirements for food premises and equipment
- 2.3* – Information regarding mandatory food allergen declarations
* Covered in FoodSafe Food Handler Training, or it’s equivalent; download the Food Safety Standard 3.2.3 fact sheet.