Schools have a very important role to play in promoting health and wellbeing to students. The school community includes Principals, teachers, parent body, parents and students. A Health Promoting School is a school that is constantly strengthening its capacity as a healthy setting for living, learning and working.
A Health Promoting School:
- Fosters health and learning with all the measures at its disposal
- Engages health and education officials, teachers, students, parents, health providers and community leaders in efforts to make the school a healthy place
- Strives to provide a healthy environment, school health education, school health services along with school/community projects and outreach, health promotion programs for staff, opportunities for health and safety to be addressed, nutrition and food safety programs, opportunities for physical education and recreation, programs for counselling, social support and mental health promotion
- Implements policies and practices that respect an individual’s wellbeing, provides multiple opportunities for success, and acknowledges good efforts and intentions as well as personal achievements
- Strives to improve the health of school personnel, families and community members as well as students
- Works with community leaders to help them understand how the community contributes to, or undermines, health and education.
For more information about how your school can be a health promoting school visit the WA Health promoting Schools Association Inc.