WASCA will continue to provide information for canteens and schools regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19).
This is based on advice from the WA Departments of Health and Education and in consultation with WA Council of State School Organisations (WACSSO) to take the necessary precautions for schools and staff. Please seek advice from the Principal and/or employer (e.g. P&C) at all times as the situation at your school evolves.
Please review our advice for canteens, including:
- School Communication re COVID-19 #10 (published 15.02.2022) a Q&A factsheet that answers the most common questions WASCA has been receiving from Canteen staff and Parent bodies about COVID-19. Specifically focusing on mandatory COVID-19 Vaccinations requirements.
- WACSSO have released an easy to read Q&A document regarding mandatory vaccinations in schools. This list of Q&As has been created by WACSSO in accordance with Department of Education, Department of Health and WA Government directions for school sites. To ensure you have the most current version of the document access the Q&A WACSSO document on the WACSSO website.
- School Communication re COVID-19 #9 (published 06.12.2021) advice based on the latest State Government announcement on Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccinations including requirements for canteen staff, volunteers and parent bodies.
- School Communication re COVID-19 #8 (published 27.04.2021) advice based on the latest State Government announcement for post lock-down measures. Including: wearing of masks, communication and cleaning/sanitising procedures.
- School Communication re COVID-19 #7 (published 05.02.2021) advice based on the latest State Government announcement. Including: wearing of masks, communication and cleaning/sanitising procedures.
- School Communication re COVID-19 #6 (published 13.08.2020) advice about DOE Phase four updated Operating Guidelines for Western Australian Public Schools effective Monday 29 June 2020. Relevant details from the guidelines, specific to canteens (and P&C’s), are included in this update.
- School Communication re COVID-19 #5 (published 09.06.2020) advice about DOE Phase three updated Operating Guidelines for Western Australian Public Schools effective Monday 8 June 2020. Relevant details from the guidelines, specific to canteens (and P&C’s), are included in this update.
- School Communication re COVID-19 #4 (published 26.05.2020) advice about DOE Operating Guidelines for Western Australian Public Schools; canteen operations e.g. volunteers, training, communication and cleaning/sanitising; personal hygiene and distancing; and vulnerable populations.
- Volunteering WA has released a new 6 Step Guide to help organisations navigate through the challenges faced by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- All canteen staff (and volunteers) are strongly encouraged to complete the new FREE Hospitality & Tourism COVID-19 Hygiene Course. The course has been backed by the Western Australian Government and is designed to provide you with hygiene awareness and procedures. For a summary of the key elements of the training download the COVID training summary.
- WACSSO in conjunction with WASCA and accounting firm Francis A Jones conducted a webinar on May 7 that provided valuable information about navigating the Government’s JobKeeper package. We encourage P&C’s and canteens to make the most of this package in these difficult times. To watch the webinar see the JobKeeper payment and cash flow boost webinar located on YouTube. You can also access further information such as key dates on the ATO website.
- WASCA held Online canteen network meetings on 21 and 23 April. The purpose was to connect with canteen staff and P&C representatives; increase communication; and give participants an opportunity to talk to WASCA and other schools. The comments, suggestions and questions have been used to create a Canteen COVID-19 draft plan. This template was developed in partnership with WACSSO and can be edited by schools to suit their needs as they make a plan to reopen the canteen.
- School Communication re COVID-19 #3 (published 17.04.2020) advice based on the latest State Government announcement.
- School Communication re COVID-19 #2 (published 26.03.2020) advice for plans to close the canteen.
- School Communication re COVID-19 #1 (published 18.03.2020) advice to operate effectively and implement health and safety measures in the canteen.
We have also developed a series of Canteen COVID-19 social media tiles. These graphics can be used on Facebook, websites or in newsletters to help advertise your plans for the canteen. Simply click on the image you like, it will open in a new window then right click and either copy or save.