Completing FoodSafe Food Handler training is essential for all WA school canteens. Training can be completed in a number of ways: we recommend the following options:
- Free access for WASCA members – WASCA has a FoodSafe® subscription which provides FREE access to the online training for members only. Simply email us with your name, school name and role (e.g. canteen supervisor, canteen volunteer, home economics teachers) and we will send you a unique access code and instructions – email@example.com
- Search your local council website or contact your local council as they may provide FREE access to the training
- FoodSafe® Online ($35) and FoodSafe® training packs ($132) can be purchased from Environmental Health Australia. If you are interested in completing more advanced training Food Safety Australia have a number of online courses, such as a Food Handlers Certificate Course, fees apply.
If you are interested in completing more advanced training Food Safety Australia have a number of online courses, such as Food Handlers Certificate Course, fees apply.
A new National Food Safety Standard, 3.2.2A – Food Safety Management Tools has been introduced across Australia. The purpose is to reduce the rate of foodborne illnesses linked to poor handling of food in food service, catering and retail food businesses – including school canteens.
As part of new standard, school canteens in WA must appoint a food safety supervisor which means completing Food Safety Supervisor Training.
A food safety supervisor must undergo training by a registered training organisation and complete both the following units of competency in the SITSS00069 – Food Safety Supervision Skill Set:
- SITXFSA005 – Use hygienic practices for food safety
- SITXFSA006 – Participate in safe food handling practices.
See the Training page for more information