Sustainable Schools is a whole-school planning framework for Education for Sustainability (EfS) that has been developed ‘by schools, for schools’ in conjunction a with a broad range of organisations that provide support for schools within this critical context for teaching and learning. Sustainable Schools WA has informed the development of the Australian Curriculum cross curriculum priority of sustainability and now provides schools with an ideal support mechanism to implement significant components of the Western Australian Curriculum.
Every WA school is engaged in some elements of sustainability/EfS through such areas as utilities management, bushland and dune protection activities, reconciliation and other social (student wellbeing) programs and, as such, can be viewed as being at some point on an ‘EfS continuum’. The Sustainable Schools framework can assist schools to broaden their respectice EfS activity in support of a ‘culture of sustainability’ becoming established within school communities.
The initiative supports:
- curriculum development/implementation;
- meaningful, action-based learning tasks for students and teachers;
- access to a range of resources and an expanding support network;
- opportunities to save money through effective resource management;
- promotion of schools’ EfS activities;
- community partnerships; and
- professional learning and networking opportunities.
See more information on the Department of Education Sustainable Schools WA website.