The Western Australian Department of Education has implemented the Healthy Food and Drink (HFD) policy in public schools. The policy is based on a ‘traffic light’ system of categorising food and drinks and has been in place since 2007. This is the system that canteens must adhere to when developing their menu.
The policy does not apply to the provision of food in lunchboxes. However, parents can support healthy eating by applying this simple traffic light system when filling lunchboxes. For further information about the policy download the parent and carers flyer or visit the Department of Education’s website.
In 2008, the Catholic Education Office mandated a similar policy based on the Department of Education’s HFD policy.
GREEN – ENCOURAGE AND PROMOTE
These are EVERYDAY choices and should the lunchbox
- Fruit, fresh and canned in natural juice
- Vegetables and legumes, fresh, e.g. stuffed potatoes, corn-on-cob, or canned varieties e.g. baked beans, 3 bean mix. Salads (using reduced fat dressings only), all salad mixes
- Cereal foods – wholegrain cereals, pasta, noodles, rice
- A variety of bread types including wholegrain and/or wholemeal
- A variety of sandwich/roll fillings that are all available with salad, e.g. egg, reduced fat cheese, skin-free chicken, tuna, lean meats, yeast spreads, hommus
- Lean meats, fish, poultry and alternatives e.g. skin-free chicken meat, lean meats, fish (tuna, salmon, sardines)
- Reduced fat dairy products including plain milk (no serve size restriction), flavoured milk (less than 375mL), cheese and yoghurt
- Plain water, plain mineral water.
AMBER – SELECT CAREFULLY IN SMALL SERVES
- Registered cereals with added sugars*
- Some reduced fat pastry items, frankfurts, and sausages for sausage sizzles or special events
- Reduced fat, low salt savoury commercial products, e.g. fish, chicken, potato portions, pizza*
- Small plain biscuits or fruit muffins
- Reduced fat flavoured milks (greater than 375mL)
- Full fat dairy foods, e.g. milk, yoghurt, low fat dairy desserts, cheese
- Fruit juices – small sizes (250mL or less) and no added sugar.
NOTE: Full fat dairy products cannot be registered. Reduced fat dairy products are recommended for children over the age of 2 years. Only choose the full fat varieties if reduced fat is not available.
RED – OFF THE MENU NOT AVAILABLE
- Full-fat pastry items of any description
- Deep fried food of any description
- Sweet sandwich fillings including jam, nut spreads, honey, or confectionery sprinkles
- High fat sandwich meats including polony and salami
- Confectionery (including liquorice, cough lollies, and fruit juice based jellies) and/or sweet or savoury snack items not approved by WASCA or FOCiS
- Chocolate confectionery
- Soft drinks, cordial, sports drinks
- High caffeine drinks (e.g. drinks containing Guarana)
- Chocolate coated and premium style ice-creams
- Croissants, doughnuts, cream filled or iced buns/cakes, sweet pastries, slices
- Fruit juices – large sizes (250mL or greater)
- Water flavoured with 100% fruit juice.